Details for Women and Christian Ministry
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Unit code: MIN213
- Credit points: 15
- Total workload hours per week: 10
- Number of timetabled hours per week: 4 *
Introduction to Ministry
The following courses are prerequisites:
Awards offering Women and Christian Ministry
This unit is offered as a part of the following awards:
This paper examines the place and function of women in ministry, and the nature of ministry to women in Australasian society in general and Pentecostalism in particular from biblical, theological, historical, and cultural perspectives.
Students should be able to:
1. Critically evaluate the sociological and religious factors affecting gender roles throughout church history
2. Identify the effectiveness of key Christian Women over time
3. Analyse the contexts in which female leaders operate in churches
4. Engage critically with some of the significant writings of key Christian women
5. Examine the place of women in contemporary church ministries
6. Construct a personal philosophy of women in ministry
1. Biblical foundations of women in ministry
2. The role of women in contemporary society
3. Feminism and Women’s movements
4. Pentecostal and charismatic perspectives on women and ministry
5. Women in the formation and growth of Australian and New Zealand Pentecostalism
6. Challenges and possibilities for women ministers7. The future of women’s ministry
This course may be offered in the following formats
Lectures, discussion, pre-readings, interaction with practitioners
Book Review (20%,1000 words); Interview and reflection with a woman in ministry (30%, 1500 words); Major Essay (50%, 2500 words)
Clifton, S & J. Grey, eds. Raising Women Leaders. Sydney:APS, 2009.
- Allen, P. The Concept of Woman. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1996.
- Arlandson, J.M. Women, Class, and Society in Early Christianity. Peabody: Hendrickson, 1997.
- Belleville, L. L (ed.). Two Views on Women in Ministry. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2001.
- Bilezikian, G. Community 101. Grand rapids: Zondervan, 1997
- Blumhofer, E.L. Restoring the Faith. Urbana: UIP, 1993.
- De Vries-Evans, S. Pioneer Women, Pioneer Land. North Ryde, N.S.W.: Angus & Robertson, 1987.
- Duncan, J. L. and Hunt, S. Women's Ministry in the Local Church. Westchester, Ill.: Crossway Books, 2006.
- Gill, D. M. & B. Cavaness. God's Women Then and Now. Springfield: Grace and Truth Press, 2004
- Grady, J.L. 10 Lies the Church Tells Women: How the Bible has been Misused to Keep Women in Spiritual Bondage. Lake Mary, FL: Charisma House, 2006.
- Grenz, S.J. Women in the Church: A Biblical Theology of Women in Ministry. Grand Rapids:
- InterVarsity Press, 1995.
- Hutchinson, M. and Campion, E. (eds.). Long, Patient Struggle. Sydney: CSAC, 1994.
- Lancaster, S.H. Women and the Authority of Scripture: A Narrative Approach. Harrisburg: Trinity, 2002.
- Northouse, P. (ed.), Leadership: Theory and Practice.4th ed. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, 2006.
- Tucker, R.A. & W. Liefield. Daughters of the Church: Women and Ministry from New Testament Times to the Present. Zondervan, 1987