Details for Communicating the Gospel
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Paper code: MIN102
- Credit points: 15
- Total workload hours per week: 10
- Number of timetabled hours per week: 4 *
The paper Communicating the Gospel is part of the subject area Ministry and is offered as a part of the following Awards: Bachelor of Contemporary Ministry (New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA)).
This paper is a practical examination of the history, theology and practice of evangelism. It stresses the empowering role of the Holy Spirit in evangelism.
Students should be able to:
- Identify the biblical, historical and theological foundations of evangelism. This includes consideration of other Christian perspectives and understandings
- Describe the postmodern context of evangelism
- Identify and apply competently a variety of evangelistic resources
- Illustrate the skills necessary to extend an evangelistic invitation, both in church and in a personal interaction
- Discuss the features of an effective evangelistic ministry for the postmodern context
- Identify the place of outreach and evangelism in the mission of the church
- Foundations of evangelism
- Jesus as disciple maker
- Faith formation, conversion theology and spiritual development
- Various methods used in outreach and first steps in the faith
- Various postmodern contexts for outreach
- Bicultural and multicultural implications for evangelism
- Practicum in outreach and evangelism
- Effective incorporation into the body of Christ
This course may be offered in the following formats
Lectures, class presentations, reports and group discussions.
Major Essay (50%, 2000 words); Portfiolio (30%, 1250 words); Forum Postings (20 %, 2000 words)
PDF Readings provided on Moodle
Abraham, W. “The Art of Evangelism.” Clergy Journal 82:8 (2006):13-15
Amsterdam 2000. The Mission of an Evangelist. Minneapolis, MN.: World Wide Publications, 2001.
Comfort, R. & Cameron, K. The School of Biblical Evangelism. Alachua, FL: Bridge-Logos, 2004.
Dawson, S. (ed), The Complete Evangelism Guidebook: Expert Advice on Reaching Others for Christ. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2008.
Dockery, David, S (ed.). The Challenge Of Postmodernism. 2nd ed. Grand Rapids, MI.: Baker Books, 2001.
Drummond, L.A. Reaching Generation Next: Effective Evangelism in Today’s Culture. Grand Rapids: Baker Books, 2002.
Finney, J. Emerging Evangelism. London: Darton, Longman & Todd, 2004.
Hunter, Kent R. The Jesus Enterprise: Engagingthe Culture to reach the Unchurched. Nashville: Abingdon Press, 2004.
Hybels, B. Just Walk Across the Room. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2006.
Kaldor, P et al. Initial Impressions. Adelaide, South Australia, Openbook, 2002.
McIntosh, D. The Everyday Evangelist. Valley Forge, Penn.: Judson, 1984.
Mittelberg, M. Building a Contagious Church: Revolutionizing the Way We View and Do Evangelism. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2000.
Poe, H.L. Christian Witness in a Postmodern World. Nashville TN: Abingdon Press, 2001.
Rainer, Thom S. Surprising Insights from the Unchurched and Proven Ways to Reach Them. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2001.
Reid, Alvin. Radically Unchurched: Who They Are and How to Reach Them. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Kregel Publications, 2002.
Thropp, J.R. “Investing in Mission and Evangelism.” Clergy Journal 82:8 (2006): 23-32
Webber, R. Ancient-Future Evangelism: Making your Church a Faith-Forming Community. Grand Rapids: Baker Books, 2003.
Wright, C. “Following Jesus in the Globalised Marketplace.” Evangelical Review of Theology 31:4(2007):320-330.
Evangelical Review of Theology
International Bulletin of Missionary Research
Review of Religious Research